Storage for servers??

WipeOut wipe_out at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Nov 22 12:31:21 UTC 2003

I know this is a little off topic but I thought I would give it a try
here anyway becasue I think the people in this group are the right kind
of people to answer my question..

I am going to be setting up a couple of servers in the near future and
these servers will have ever increasing storage needs..

One server will be a web/file server and the other will be a mail server..

I don't want to keep moving the data to bigger drives, I want to have
the servers use a shared storage facility that runs RAID and that
capacity can be increased as needed.. Preferably using ATA or SATA
drives to keep the cost down..

I have looked briefly at things like SAN's but these are far to
expensive for our limited budget..

I have also thought of NAS but I am not sure the access over
NFS/ethernet will be fast enough.. Even gigabit ethernet may become a
bottleneck.. I guess I could put a gig ethernet link between each server
and the storage server so each server has a dedicated gig ethernet
connection..

Anyway I guess you get the idea about what I am trying to do..

Has anyone setup something similar that didn't cost massive amounts of
money??

Anyone got any pointers to sites or products that would point me in the
right direction?

Thanks