Hello:I am new user in this mailing list

David.L.Debonnaire bk-dd at t-online.de
Sat Nov 22 18:39:41 UTC 2003

PatrickM wrote:
> When looking to the Redhat products ("home-editions"), the support will end within 6 months (someone correct me if I'm wrong).
>
> Fedora is entirely build on/with/from open-source material.

Is that to say that RH9 is not?
I am also new to Linux, but not to computers in general, and after
starting  out' with RedHat9 and getting a scare out of the EOL
announcement, I too  tried out "Fedora Core 1" - for me it was a step
back, if I may use the  analogy *here*, from W2K to Win98.

Flame if you will, but many others will say nothing and silently give it
up.  I *want* to keep my RH9, and if possible, to maintain it at a
reasonable  state of revision - but that will probably only be possible
*if* RH9 is also  consists purely of open-source material.

Of course if Fedora - which from my point of view, comes with a good
pedigree, but does not seem to deliver the goods - gets a lot more
'reliable' and/or  (new-) user friendly, I shall give it a fair chance.

Oh, by the way can anyone answer my implied question about RH9's
maintainability? - even without RedHat support - if so can you make it
simple enough for a windoze refugee?

Best regards , DD