Update RedHat 9.B --> Fedora

Douglas Furlong douglas.furlong at firebox.com
Mon Nov 24 16:02:11 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-11-24 at 15:45, Thomas Skerhutt wrote:
> Remco schrieb:
>
> >On Monday 24 November 2003 16:23, Thomas Skerhutt wrote:
> >

> >>I've just one question: How can I update from RedHat 9.B to Fedora Core?
> >>

> >You probably ran
> ># yum update
> >
> >which updates individual packages but
> >
> ># yum upgrade
> >will do a full cross-distro version upgrade which is probably what you want.
> >
> >Remco
> >

> You're right, first I ran yum update and saw that there was no success.
> After that I started yum upgrade, but it didn't find any new packages or
> anything to install.
>
> Thomas
I accidentally did a distribution upgrade from Redhat 9, to Fedora Core
1, by editing the /etc/yum.conf file, and changed the release version,
to that of Fedora Core 1 (what ever it is), and then did an upgrade (or
was it update).

Any way, 900 odd packages later, and it was upgraded.

However, I believe this method does not catch every thing, if new
packages are included in a default install, then they will not be
upgraded/installed.

Doug