Flash License

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Tue Nov 25 12:19:36 UTC 2003

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003, Ben Steeves wrote:

> On Fri, 2003-11-21 at 08:25, John Hodrien wrote:
> > Since, as I understand it, I'm not allowed to share a license of flash, I
> > don't see how I can install it on a multi-user machine.  What's anyone else
> > doing?
>
> Considering that Windows 2000 and Windows XP are just as "multi-user" as
> Linux, I don't see a problem, unless the Windows and Linux versions of
> the flash plugin have different licensing agreements.

I worded my original post poorly, since I was concerned not just with
multi-user, but multi-machine.  Since the license precludes a sole license
supporting multiple machines, I don't see how I can image machines...

In the EULA, it says:

2a ...A license for the Software may not be shared, installed or used
      concurrently on different computers.

At what point does one enter into a license to use the software?  If I install
the software and someone else uses it, they've not agreed to the EULA.

It also states in the same section "You may install and use the Software on a
single desktop computer".  Does this preclude the use of imaging software with
it?

There's also a separate licensing scheme that is for distribution of flash
players within a company intranet that possibly covers this case, although
even then it's not clear.  I've contacted Macromedia for clarification.

jh

--
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."
                                                     -- Samuel Beckett