up2date error

Tim Spaulding tspauld98 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 25 14:43:15 UTC 2003

Hi,

Long time listener, first-time poster...

I'm running Fedora Core 1.  I upgraded from Red Hat Linux 9 using the GUI anaconda installer on
the ISO CDs and I checked the media before installing.  When I upgraded, I actually selected the
Upgrade option instead of doing a fresh install.  Everything is working pretty well.  I was
mightly impressed that it stepped around my alsa drivers and sound config successfully.  I still
have sound.  (I'm running a ThinkPad 600E so it's some work to get everything working properly.
And I know that it was my config that's making sound work because I have another 600 that I did a
fresh install on and sound doesn't work yet.)

Anyway, when I run up2date in the GUI mode, it freezes when attempting to get the header.info
file.  I have worked around the redirect issues and tested the URLs I'm using with a browser, so I
know that wasn't the issue.  When I run it in text mode, I get the following error:

Fetching http://rpmfind.net/linux/fedora/core/1/i386/os/headers/header.info...
There was some sort of I/O error: <urlopen error (-2, 'Name or service not known')>

I have successfully updated the system using yum, but I would like to get up2date working.  More
importantly, I support a number of users who use Red Hat Linux 9 that I plan on upgrading to
Fedora, but I'm concerned that they will not be able to use up2date.  (Typical end users that
don't know a command prompt from a hole in the ground.)  I'd be happy to help debug the situation.

Let me know if anyone has any insight into this problem.

Thanks,

tims

<butt-kissing> PS - Hey, Fedora team, good work!  Despite a few glitches which I believe will be
ironed out through the community process, Fedora Core 1 is pretty solid.   I'm also excited about
getting things like alsa and kernel updates sooner rather than later.  I'm definitely routing for
you.  Keep it up! </butt-kissing>