syslog -r remote logging to /var/log/messages as well as configured log file

Matt Temple mht at research.dfci.harvard.edu
Wed Nov 26 19:14:05 UTC 2003

Gene Delitzoy wrote:
> Hello,
> I have a device logging to my server but it logs in /var/log/messages as
> well as /var/log/pix.log.
> here is my syslog.conf
> # Log all kernel messages to the console.
> # Logging much else clutters up the screen.
> #kern.*                                                 /dev/console
>
> # Log anything (except mail) of level info or higher.
> # Don't log private authentication messages!
> *.info;mail.none;authpriv.none;cron.none
> /var/log/messages
>
> # The authpriv file has restricted access.
> authpriv.*                                              /var/log/secure
>
> # Log all the mail messages in one place.
> mail.*                                                  /var/log/maillog
>

> # Log cron stuff
> cron.*                                                  /var/log/cron
>
> # Everybody gets emergency messages
> *.emerg                                                 *
>
> # Save news errors of level crit and higher in a special file.
> uucp,news.crit                                          /var/log/spooler
>
> # Save boot messages also to boot.log
> local7.*
> /var/log/boot.log
> # Save messages to pix.log
> local6.*                                                /var/log/pix.log
>
> What should I change so that it will only log to /var/log/pix.log.
>
> thanks

Gene,

	I'm a little bit confused.   We start our machine that is _receiving_
remote syslogs with:

         daemon syslogd -r

It can then receive inbound syslog requests from our other nodes.
They would have their syslog.conf file set up with lines like:

# log everything to lager
*.*                             @lager.dfci.harvard.edu

In your proposed setup, you're asking to log everything to a file.

## *.* is all sources and all levels.  So you could do:
*.*			/var/log/pix.log

So, what ARE you trying to do?
					Matt Temple

Matthew Temple                Tel:    617/632-2597
Director, Research Computing  Fax:    617/582-7820
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute  mht at research.dfci.harvard.edu
44 Binney Street,  ML105      http://research.dfci.harvard.edu
Boston, MA 02115              Choice is the Choice!