Problem with CD-RW drive.

Glen Shadbolt shadbolt at umich.edu
Thu Nov 27 01:39:03 UTC 2003

I am having trouble using my CR-RW drive. It worked fine under RH 9.
After switching to Fedora it is not available, and it does not show up
in the hardware-browser. When I switched to Fedora I did a clean
install, with pretty much everything the same except that I installed to
a logical volume.

When I boot up I get the following messages about my CD drives:

 localhost kernel: hdc: HITACHI DVD-ROM GD-7000, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
 localhost kernel: hdd: SONY CD-RW CRX185E1, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
 localhost kernel: hdd: set_drive_speed_status: status=0x51 { DriveReady
SeekComplete Error }
 localhost kernel: hdd: set_drive_speed_status: error=0x04
 localhost autofs: automount startup succeeded
 localhost kernel: ide1: Drive 1 didn't accept speed setting. Oh, well.

I noticed that a couple of earlier messages also referred to "hdd".

 localhost kernel: Kernel command line: ro root=/dev/Volume00/LogVol00
hdd=ide-scsi rhgb
 localhost kernel: ide_setup: hdd=ide-scsi