Problem compiling programs after upgrade from RedHat 9.0

Andre Costa acosta at ar.microlink.com.br
Thu Nov 27 11:12:06 UTC 2003

Hi Alexandre,

you're the hero of the day -- 'make mrproper', copy config from
'configs' dir and 'make oldconfig' _before_ 'make bzImage' and 'make
modules' allowed a full compilation, free of hassles =)

I haven't tried customizing the default config file, but AFAICS there's
no reason for it to fail.

Thank you very much =) I will update Linuxquestions.org ASAP.

Best,

Andre

On 27 Nov 2003 01:53:33 -0200
Alexandre Oliva <aoliva at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Nov 27, 2003, Andre Costa <acosta at ar.microlink.com.br> wrote:
>
> > yes, I had done 'make dep' and 'make bzImage' before 'make modules',
>
> Did you run make mrproper before copying the config file?  Did you run
> make oldconfig after whatever other make *config you might have run
> after copying the config file, maybe even if it's make oldconfig
> itself?  These steps have been reported to reliably solve `my kernel
> won't build' problems in Red Hat-shipped kernels forever, even in this
> mailing list.
>
> --
> Alexandre Oliva   Enjoy Guarana', see http://www.ic.unicamp.br/~oliva/
> Red Hat GCC Developer                 aoliva@{redhat.com, gcc.gnu.org}
> CS PhD student at IC-Unicamp        oliva@{lsd.ic.unicamp.br, gnu.org}
> Free Software Evangelist                Professional serial bug killer
>

> --

Andre Oliveira da Costa