problems with Secure Digital

Kai Thomsen kai.thomsen at gmx.de
Sat Nov 29 01:20:15 UTC 2003

Matt Wette wrote:

> I have a Gateway M500 laptop which is loaded with FC1.
> This laptop supports Secure Digital cards.  I bought a
> 64M kingston card and tried to load but got some error
> messages.  I did put the following in modules.conf:
>
>   add options scsi_mod max_scsi_luns=255
>
> I also did something possibly stupid:  I read somewhere that
> mkinitrd would set up the SD card, but I didn't see how that
> would work so I started reading through /sbin/mkinitrd and
> then did "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=1k count=64" to
> set up the disk.  I don't know what I am doing here.  Here
> are error messages on boot.  Anyone have hint on where to go?

Maybe you mixed up `mkinitrd' and `mkfs.*'?  mkinitrd is used to build
initial RAM disks for the kernel boot process.

As you zeroed out the first 64 kbytes on the card including the
partition table, I'd suggest recreating the latter using `fdisk' or
`parted' on /dev/sda; one partition which spans the whole medium should
be a sensible choice, IMHO.  Then create a new filesystem in the
partition (/dev/sda1) by means of `mkfs.vfat' or a similar tool.

--Kai