NFS performance..

WipeOut wipe_out at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Nov 29 09:39:45 UTC 2003

Craig White wrote:

>----
>I was hoping to see some interest in this thread as I am about to do the
>same thing - obvious the permissions on the NAS aren't the same if you
>use Samba
>
>Craig

I eventually worked out why there was such a huge write performance
difference between NFS and Samba..

Basically Samba by default will buffer writes to the hard drive.. NFS
will not, NFS will confirm that the data has bee written to dike before
it continues which means that the data integrity is taking preference
ofer performance when using NFS..

You can override this by adding the "async" option to the NFS export..
when you do this NFS will buffer the writes and is actually then faster
than Samba (probably down to the fact that its using UDP instead of
TCP).. When buffering the writes in any system there is a chance of data
loss in the event of a power failure or a server crash..

Anyway I found this quite useful that I am able to decied on a per
export basis wheather its more important to have write performance or
data integrity..

So I will certainly be using NFS for my system because there will be no
Windows systems that I need to maintain communications with..

Later..