From: fedora-list-admin redhat com [mailto:fedora-list-admin redhat com]
On Behalf Of Bryan J. Smith
Sent: Friday, October 03, 2003 9:57 AM
To: fedora-list redhat com; Paul Gear
Subject: Re: Fedora and the System Administrator -- "have" -> "had"

Quoting Paul Gear <paul gear dyndns org>:
> And that's the whole problem, isn't it?  :-)  Some of us need more
> than "enthusiast", but less than "enterprise"... I really don't
> understand why Red Hat couldn't just dump the "boxed set, store shelf"

> part of the "consumer" distro and still do everything as before.  That

> would cut back most of the costs associated with the retail channel,
> yet allow us to keep using a reasonably well-supported OS.

I think that's what they may be doing.  But they can't just come right
out and
say that.  It's all about support.  What they ship, they have to support
if it's not a law, nor followed by many Linux distributors, but a Red
distro motto ;-)

In every case I have played "wait and see" with Red Hat, I have _always_
pleasantly surprised.  I hope Fedora does as well.  It's in Red Hat's
interest to do so.

I see Bob Young speak on business, not much different than Bill Gates,
unlike Bill Gates, he doesn't screw his own developers.  I then see Red
developers and technologists implement a 100% community-focused feature
package set.  I'm biased, but I really like Red Hat for the balancing
act they
are able to come off with.

> Surely producing a CD-ROM distribution available by subscription only
> and charging a low-to-medium amount of money for RHN basic wouldn't be

> that much of a money sink...

I think we'll see a lot of "repositories" crop up.  I chaulk this all up
internal Red Hat developers and technologies proving to the management
that the
community can better support distribution than RHN.

> A: Because we read from top to bottom, left to right.
> Q: Why should i start my reply below the quoted text?

I love it when someone new to a LUG (obviously using Outlook) complained
my ettique of bottom posting and cutting out irrelevant quotes in my

Bryan J. Smith, E.I.  mailto:b j smith ieee org  http://thebs.org
There is no greater ignorance than the popular American environ- mental
movement, which focuses on the most useless details.  Be it recycling
the world's most renewable resource or refusal to use proven CFC
insulation on launch vehicles, no lives will be spared in the further
pursuit of, ironically, harming the environment.

fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list redhat com