Re: installing Fedora test on a spare drive

On Oct  6, 2003, Mike Payst <linuxgruven nc rr com> wrote:

> On Sun October 5 2003 8:02 pm, Ernest L. Williams Jr. wrote:
>> Please write up the steps and post.

> My goal was to try Fedora and not risk my existing OS installations

FWIW, what I do is similar but simpler.  I don't bother to unplug
disks or anything like that, I just tell the installer to use a
different /boot and / partitions, tell it to install the boot load
sector in the first section of the partition, as opposed to in the
MBR, and I have a setting in my `stable' grub install (the one that
comes up by default) that chain-loads the unstable boot loader.
Something like this:

title Test release
        root (hd1,0)
        chainloader +1

The only minor inconvenience is that, in order to boot Fedora Core, I
have to go through two boot loaders, but with appropriate defaults, I
can just turn the machine on and go have some coffee :-)  The
advantage is the zero maintenance cost: upgrades, installs, etc, don't
require me to go modifying the stable boot loader configuration in
any way.

Red Hat GCC Developer                 aoliva {redhat com, gcc.gnu.org}
CS PhD student at IC-Unicamp        oliva {lsd ic unicamp br, gnu.org}