Re: startup/stop init scripts for gdm/kdm

On Wed, 2003-10-08 at 12:53, Chris Spencer wrote:
> Due to repeated failures on freshly burned CD's I ended up doing a
> minimal install and adding packages as I needed over the network.
> I am curious about why startup scripts for /etc/init.d weren't packaged
> with kdm or gdm when I added them.
> Anyone have any ideas?
> I can make them myself but just curious why they weren't created.
> Are they part of another package?  Auto created by some other tool?

kdm/gdm aren't started by the runlevel scripts, they're started by
inittab.  Last three lines of /etc/inittab on my system:

# Run xdm in runlevel 5
# xdm is now a separate service
x:5:respawn:/etc/X11/prefdm -nodaemon

(this selects between kdm/gdm/others using a system config option)