soundserver error on KDE startup in fedora 0.94

after going into kde, I get an error reporting that the soundserver had problems with the device /dev/dsp

basically - sound doesn't work.

the device is a PCI creative soundblaster live 5.1 card.

has anyone else experienced problems / know of resolutions for this card?

if not - are there any particular sound-related log files I should check to help with troubleshooting, or would it just be /var/log/messages?

thanks very much.