Okay - Gripe time

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Tue Oct 14 07:41:31 UTC 2003

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003, Dan Goodes wrote:

>Oh and one more thing - someone plese wave a wand and get 2D/3D
>accelerated support for the Radeon Mobility U1 (IGP 320M) into the kernel
>and auto-detecting at install :-) Now *that* would be sweet.

Radeon IGP 3D support is not only extremely experimental at the
current state of upstream development, but it is not included in
the XFree86 CVS tree destined for the 4.4.0 release, nor is it
included in the DRI CVS yet to my knowledge.

I can state for certain that there will not be Radeon IGP 3D
acceleration support in XFree86 4.3.0 in Fedora Core 1.

Hopefully, the issues present with the current experimental patch
will be ironed out, and this support will make its way into
DRI-CVS.  The XFree86 feature freeze for 4.4.0 is on Oct 15th,
2003, so this is unlikely to be included in the 4.4.0 release
either unless the XFree86 CVS commiters permit it into the tree
without considering it a highly experimental feature.

Depending on if the 4.4.0 release hits it's targetted release
date, Fedora Core 2 may contain XFree86 4.4.0.  During
development of Fedora Core 2, I may consider applying the 3D
support patches if:

1) Someone sends me Radeon IGP laptop or motherboard hardware
with which to test/debug/etc.

or

2) Enough people test the support that it is considered at least
as stable as any other Radeon support, and does not regress the
driver at all.

I won't however just shove in highly experimental known-buggy 3D
support for Radeon IGP, just because numerous IGP users out there
are anxious to get 3D support.  It will be supported _only_ when
it is considered stable and reliable upstream.  In particular by
the developers working on it.

Hope this helps explain the IGP situation.

TTYL