OpenGroupware?

Paul Iadonisi pri.rhl1 at iadonisi.to
Wed Oct 15 16:40:51 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-10-15 at 09:05, Maarten Stolte wrote:
> Bryan J. Smith wrote:
>
> >I didn't see this brought up yet, but was there any interest in putting
> >OpenGroupware in Fedora Core?
> >
> >If not, is it because of the commercial ZideLook add-on for Outlook?
> >

> would not be a good reason, since afaik, it is useable without it for
> non-outlook users.
> I do think its a weird sort of opensource, seems rather crippled, on
> both client- and server-side.

  Well, from what I can gather, it's not crippled at all.  But it was
rather *broken* when I last tried it ;-).  Not sure what you mean by
crippled.

> I'd advice to look at Kolab if such a server is to go in; it is much
> more open, has closed and open clients, and the only disadvantage I can

  I'm curious of what makes you believe that Kolab is somehow more
open.  How are you defining 'open,' anyhow.  Your 'weird sort of
opensource' comment has me confused.  As far as I know, the
non-opensource pieces are not even bundled with the base package.  No
different than (on the client side) evolution since you can get the
[Ximian/]Novell Connector for Exchange.  Doesn't make evolution a 'weird
sort of opensource' in my book.
  When it comes to Kolab, unfortunately, from what I could gather from
an earlier post (maybe on fedora-test-list, not here) is that it abuses
an IMAP folder to do calendaring (and maybe other stuff?), whereas
OpenGroupware uses accepted standard protocols for it (ical? vcal?).

> think of is that the developers made it for OpenPKG, which means it'd
> need to be 'ported' to redhat to some degree.

  Well, regardless of my above comments, I wouldn't really consider that
a disadvantage.  After all, most of the up front work has been done to
get it into an rpm-ized format.  Much easer than *some* projects out
there like XFree86 and OpenOffice.org that make you think that the
developers don't even think about packaging (I mean that as constructive
criticism -- I hope those developers will take packing concerns into
consideration more in the future).

--
-Paul Iadonisi
 Senior System Administrator