GPG signature

Something strange happened just before.

I was asked something about gettinga licence (GPG I think).  I said no
because I had no idea what this licence was about.

Then I ran up2date and after EVERY package that was to be updated I got
the question "is not signed with a GPG signature - Continue?".  The
first run of up2date seemed to reinstall all sorts of programs and
fonts,  more that what the up2date selection showed.

I'm going to re-install because I probably mucked up.

Can anyone help me to understand what this GPG/GPL licence thing is and
how it relates to my use of my linux box?

=====
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him
absolutely no good. -Samuel Johnson, lexicographer (1709-1784)