nvidia thoughts

Niels Weber nath at snafu.de
Thu Oct 23 17:37:25 UTC 2003

Am Do, den 23.10.2003 schrieb Sean Middleditch um 19:27:
> On Thu, 2003-10-23 at 13:21, Christoph Wickert wrote:
> > Niels Weber schrieb:
> > >I know that nvidia is evil with releasing their drivers only in binary
> > >format and so on.
> > I don't know who said that. Maybe this person should take into account,
> > that Nvidia is not allowed to release the source for it includes third
> > party code, even if they wanted to.
> And, before someone points out that NVIDIA might just release the
> hardware specs, the hardware contains components and designs from third
> parties as well.  Don't buy NVIDIA hardware if you don't like the
> situation.  If they start loosing enough sales from this (*absurd
> laughter*) then they might start making hardware free of third-party
> components and released with open source drivers.  Spouting "evil
> capitalistic corporation" stuff isn't going to get anyone very far.  ;-)
Ecactly my thoughts. I just didn't want to get a hundred replies along
the lines of "don't buy nvidia, they're evil as their drivers aren't
GPL". I like their hardware and I have no real prblems with the binary
drivers. Better than no drivers at all I think. And the situation with
ATI isn't really any better, so what choice is there?
--
Niels Weber <nath at snafu.de>