package management

I'm new to the list and I just installed fedora .95 yesterday. I noticed
that yum and apt repositories are available. I'm used to apt and I have
played with yum a tiny bit. I'm assuming both repositories are updated
at the same time but is there an "official" package management tool?
What are the advantages of each? What do yall recommend? Thanx!
Glen Wagley <glen wagdog homelinux com>
"Simple things should be simple and complex things should be possible."
  -Alan Kay