What price do you want?

Sean Middleditch elanthis at awesomeplay.com
Thu Sep 25 17:36:05 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-09-25 at 12:58, Stephen Smoogen wrote:
> Ok I lets just cut to the chase.. what is the price people are willing
> to pay and how many machines are you going to have? Then figure out how
> many others you would need to sell at that price for RH to become
> profitable and grow (going off of SEC filings or whatnot).

What people *say* they're willing to pay, and what they'll pay when it
actually comes down to it, are two totally different things.  Don't you
think Red Hat marketing would've picked the perfect price for Red Hat
Linux that would've maximized sales already?

To be honest, the only reason I ever paid for Red Hat was to support Red
Hat financially.  You don't make a business plan of charitable souls
like me, tho.  ;-)  And even I only ever paid for .0 releases, since I
found paying a new OS every 6 months a bit insane.  When you consider
that the only real value you get from a distro like Red Hat over others
is support, the price of RHEL actually isn't that bad at all.

A price *I'd* be willing to pay, for a *consumer* OS, and others might
be willing to pay, if you want a random guess?  $150 for a base OS, and
free point releases for a couple years.  Is that financially feasible
for Red Hat, who doesn't sell extra products on top of the OS like an
Office or anything?  Prolly not...
AwesomePlay Productions, Inc.