A laptop, a mouse and a touchpad

Keven Ring keven at mitre.org
Thu Apr 1 17:01:45 UTC 2004

Jim Radford wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>I just installed FC2-T2 to see what it was like, turns out I couldn't get it
>working (lots of SElinux problems and it didn't recognise my soundcard). It
>did something I've never been able to figure out - My touchpad and my USB
>mouse both worked at the same time.....any ideas how I can get this working
>under FC1 - now I've reinstalled it.
>
>The laptop is a Fujitsu Lifebook S6120 if that makes a difference.
>
>Oh, and FC2 looks great - shame I had so many problems with it. Can't wait for
>a stable release.

Most touchpads that I have come across utilize the PS/2 mouse protocol.
Given that, here are sections of an XF86Config file that are relevant:

Section "ServerLayout"
InputDevice     "Touchpad" "CorePointer"
InputDevice    "USBMouse" "AlwaysCore"
EndSection

This defines two different mice.  Now, let's define those mice:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Touchpad"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "PS/2"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/psaux"
        Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "USBMouse"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
        Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
EndSection

BTW, the XF86Config file is located in the /etc/X11 directory.

You will need to restart X for this to take effect.

HTH.

--
Keven Ring               | The called it Paradise, I don't know why
The MITRE Corporation    | Call someplace Paradise, Kiss it Goodbye