Q) Using cups from Windows-2000 machine

Ronny Haryanto ronnylist at haryan.to
Fri Apr 2 03:28:47 UTC 2004

On 02-Apr-2004, Ronny Haryanto wrote:
> On 02-Apr-2004, d l wrote:
> > In cups, create a new print queue for your printer, and
> > wrap it under a printer class. You can then add printer in
> > windows with the path:
> > ipp://linux_box:631/printer_class_name
>
> It's been suggested in various documentations to use this url
> http://cupshost:631/printers/queue_name
>
> Although, it didn't work for me and I had to use samba (need to add
> "use client drivers = yes" to smb.conf in addition to "printing =
> cups" and "printcap name = cups").

Strange. It works now. So my Windows XP printing goes directly to CUPS
via IPP. I no longer need samba for printing.

I simply deleted the printer queue, added it again with
redhat-config-printer. Save and Apply. Change /etc/cups/mime.* entries
to enable raw printing (uncomment application/octet-stream entries at
the end). 'service cups restart'. Add printer in Windows XP with IPP
(network printer with http://cupshost:631/printers/queue_name as URL).
And that's it!

I wouldn't have bothered trying this again if I hadn't replied to this
thread. Thanks!

Good luck,

Ronny