Latest FC kernel still have SMP bugs?

Nigel Wade nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
Fri Apr 2 09:18:58 UTC 2004

WipeOut wrote:
> Nigel Wade wrote:
>
>> Mitch Wiedemann wrote:
>>
>>> Is the FC1 2.4.22-1.2174.nptl kernel still having problems with SMP
>>> and hanging?
>>> I'm due to install some MP servers soon and want to avoid problems
>>> (imagine that!).
>>>
>>> If said kernel is still having trouble, what's the easiest fix?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance.
>>>

>> I'm currently investigating SMP here. When I tried stock FC1 and the
>> latest 2.4.22-1.2174.nptl I had severe problems with LDAP. I didn't
>> get any hard lockup, but I would have delays of between 4 and 300 secs
>> in LDAP response times. I have a strong suspicion that the delays are
>> related to FUTEX, but that's hard to prove.
>>
>> I found that disabling hyperthreading is the answer to my problems.
>> When I disabled it in the BIOS LDAP started behaving itself.
>>
>> I'm currently stress testing the LDAP server and it's managing ~40,000
>> requests per minute with the peak search times of around 5ms. I read
>> in some other threads that mounting/unmounting NFS and Samba
>> filesystems lead to hard lockups so I'm mounting/listing/unmounting
>> one of each every half hour. The test will be left running for the
>> next 72 hours to see what happens...
>>

> Compile a SMP kernel from vanilla kernel.org source and it works like a
> dream.. Even with HT enabled.. :)
>
> Later..

My system crashed at 23:35. The cron job to mount/unmount filesystems was
set to run at :10 and :35 every hour. Given what other people report in this
and other threads I'd say either mount or unmount was the culprit.

I think I'll be building my own kernel now.

E-mail :    nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
Phone :     +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555