grub.conf help (w/ XP)

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Fri Apr 2 13:48:10 UTC 2004

Edward Croft wrote:

>On Thu, 2004-04-01 at 13:25, Michael A. Peters wrote:
>

>>Yes, but the issue is Windows was installed as C:\
>>When making it the slave, it now becomes D:\ and everything in the
>>install that is hard coded as C:\ becomes screwed.
>>
>>That's why I need to use a boot loader that switches the drives.
>>

>It can be done in grub. The key is to make Windows think the drive is
>the first drive. This is done with the commands.
>
>    map (hd0) (hd1)
>    map (hd1) (hd0)
>    chainloader +1
>
>I'm sorry I don't have my home file with me, otherwise, I could give you
>the exact example.
>
>For more info, use info grub

Edward
Exactly how did you get this to work?
I have windows on my slave drive but the commands you list above result
in an error from grub about "invalid or unsupported executable format"

My exact grub format I am trying to use is
    map (hd0) (hd1)
    map (hd1) (hd0)
    rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    chainloader +1

I have also tried changing the rootnoverify (hd1,0)
tried changing the sequence of the last 2 lines,

And in every case I get the same error message from grub.

If I change bios to boot from the second drive it works perfectly, but
that is less than ideal to have to change the bios setting for dual booting.