kmail lost old folders/emails

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Fri Apr 2 16:08:33 UTC 2004

Am Fr, den 02.04.2004 schrieb John Walsh um 11:57:

> Hi,

> Then yesterday I got all the latest packages through up2date:
>
> yum fedora-core-1
> http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/1/$ARCH/os/
> yum updates-released
> http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/1/$ARCH/
> #yum updates-testing http://fedora.redhat.com/updates/testing/fedora-core-1

Please use a mirror. The main Redhat server has already enough traffic.

> I don't think there was a new kmail, but I don't know if it is included as
> part of another rpm...
>
> Anyway, while it was downloading the rpm's (so it had not even installed
> them yet, but maybe
> rhn-applet-2.1.4-3.i386.rpm had been installed), I had kmail open and things
> started to go wrong.

Doing an XFree and KDE update while having X running is not the best
idea. Better switch to init 3, run up2date-nox -u there and when
finished switch back to init 5.

> First I got error messages when clicking on an existing folder, that it
> could not read it, because
> it was either not in 'maildir' format, or it did not have permissions to
> read it (this is as root).

root? You mean you are running X and KDE as root? This would be very
bad. If you did not mean that please explain what the permissions are.

> So I closed kmail and re-opened it - now it only has the default folders and
> all the existing ones don't show up.

If you use IMAP you might need to resubscribe the additional folders.

> Even in the inbox, new emails show up, but the existing old ones (that are
> in the correct place) do not show up.
>
> All the filters and ID's are still in kmail, just fine, its just the folders
> and emails that have gone.

Check the permissions.

> Another note: that link to the old desktop that was made at the start, also
> dissapeared.
>
> Anyone any ideas ? Or have any questions ?
>
> Thanks,
> John.
>
> ps. after the up2date, I don't use the latest kernel because it does not see
> the mouse, so I'm still running the original FC1.0 kernel 2.4.22-1.2115.nptl

Which mouse do you have? There should be no issue with the mouse and
latest FC1 kernel .2174 as far as I know.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2174.nptl
Sirendipity 18:03:34 up 14 days, 1:45, load average: 0.12, 0.20, 0.17
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]