A issue of MySQL

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Fri Apr 2 16:09:42 UTC 2004

On Fri, 02 Apr 2004 14:27:41 +0800 Shi-Ming Chen <shiming.cv90g at nctu.edu.tw> wrote:
> And then I put my_table_name.[frm, MYI, MYD] to a MySQL (ver.4) server
> in Windows, and it shows ALL rows! My disaster is over, but I am curious
> that why the MySQL in FC1 can't read all rows? (Original MySQL version
> in RH8 and FC1 is 3)

i'm glad you recovered your rows, BUT

in the future, when making major database upgrades (be it MySQL or
PostgreSQL or whatever), please use the backup and restore utilities
supplied with the database rather than copying files willy-nilly. the
latter is sure to cause problems sooner or later (obviously in your case,
it was sooner.)

i don't know about MySQL, but PostgreSQL treats their major version
number bumps (e.g., 7.3 to 7.4) as points where the database internals
are likely to change structure.

richard
Richard Welty                                         rwelty at averillpark.net