kmail lost old folders/emails

John Walsh dear_grommet at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 2 18:33:24 UTC 2004

Alexander,

Thanks for the help.

> > Then yesterday I got all the latest packages through up2date:
>
>Please use a mirror. The main Redhat server has already enough traffic.

OK, I've switched to a UK mirror (mirror.ac.uk).

>Doing an XFree and KDE update while having X running is not the best
>idea. Better switch to init 3, run up2date-nox -u there and when
>finished switch back to init 5.

OK - thanks for the tip.

>root? You mean you are running X and KDE as root? This would be very
>bad. If you did not mean that please explain what the permissions are.

Yes, I confess, I do over use the root account, and run Gnome desktop as
root.

I do know its bad, but I'm happy to do it.

Should it be a case of NEVER do this ?

> > So I closed kmail and re-opened it - now it only has the default folders
>and
> > all the existing ones don't show up.
>
>If you use IMAP you might need to resubscribe the additional folders.

Not sure what that is.

I run sendmail, and use Kmail to read the /var/spool/USER mail boxes.

> > ps. after the up2date, I don't use the latest kernel because it does not
>see
> > the mouse, so I'm still running the original FC1.0 kernel
>2.4.22-1.2115.nptl
>
>Which mouse do you have? There should be no issue with the mouse and
>latest FC1 kernel .2174 as far as I know.

Its a Logitech 3 button mouse - quite standard.

As the system boots, it flashes the LED's, five times.

It does this at two stages of booting.

I searched for what the 5xLED flash means, but I can't find anything (any
url's ?).

I assume it is linked to the mouse, as everything else works/boots fine
(keyboard is OK),
just the mouse does not respond.

John.