grub.conf help (w/ XP)

Scott Talbot talbotscott at cox.net
Sat Apr 3 03:13:36 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-04-02 at 17:09, Jeff Vian wrote:
> Michael A. Peters wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 2004-04-02 at 05:48, Jeff Vian wrote:
> >

> >>Exactly how did you get this to work?
> >>I have windows on my slave drive but the commands you list above result
> >>in an error from grub about "invalid or unsupported executable format"
> >>
> >>My exact grub format I am trying to use is
> >>    map (hd0) (hd1)
> >>    map (hd1) (hd0)
> >>    rootnoverify (hd0,0)
> >>    chainloader +1
> >>
> >>I have also tried changing the rootnoverify (hd1,0)
> >>tried changing the sequence of the last 2 lines,
> >>
> >>And in every case I get the same error message from grub.
> >>
> >>If I change bios to boot from the second drive it works perfectly, but
> >>that is less than ideal to have to change the bios setting for dual booting.
> >>

> >Here is my working grub.conf for this setup (attached)

> ># grub.conf generated by anaconda
> >#
> ># Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this file
> ># NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
> >#          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
> >#          root (hd0,0)
> >#          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hda7
> >#          initrd /initrd-version.img
> >#boot=/dev/hda
> >default=0
> >timeout=10
> >splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
> >title Fedora Core (2.6.4-1.300)
> >	root (hd0,0)
> >	kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.4-1.300 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
> >	initrd /initrd-2.6.4-1.300.img
> >
> >title Fedora Core (2.6.3-2.1.253.2.1)
> >	root (hd0,0)
> >	kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.3-2.1.253.2.1 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
> >	initrd /initrd-2.6.3-2.1.253.2.1.img
> >
> >title Windows XP
> >	map (hd0) (hd1)
> >	map (hd1) (hd0)
> >	rootnoverify (hd1,0)
> >	makeactive
> >	chainloader +1
> >	boot
> >
> My file below looks exactly like yours for the windows section.
> Yet whenever I try to boot to that OS I get the message above.
>
> This is really frustrating and makes no sense.
> Does anyone have any other suggestions??
>

> # grub.conf generated by anaconda
> #
> # Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this file
> # NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
> #          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
> #          root (hd0,0)
> #          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hda2
> #          initrd /initrd-version.img
> #boot=/dev/hda
> default=0
> timeout=10
> splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
> title Fedora Core (2.6.1-1.65)
>         root (hd0,0)
>         kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.1-1.65 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb
>         initrd /initrd-2.6.1-1.65.img
> title Windows
> [...]
	This is weird! a few things though, I don't think it should matter, but
you have multiple spaces between arguments.  The only other thing that
seems possible is what editor did you use to modify grub.conf? are you
sure it didn't add non-ascii codes in there (yeah I know it's a long
shot!) and lastly, some apps require an <enter> LF+CR after each line,
including the last line (really reaching now!)

HTH

Scott