Who starts prelink?

Ben Steeves bcs at metacon.ca
Sat Apr 3 14:39:29 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-04-03 at 09:42, David Cary Hart wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-04-03 at 05:20, Jurgen Kramer wrote:
>
> > Is there a way to make prelink behave more decently or even prevent it
> > from running it at all?
> >
> By default, prelink is a daily cron job which runs at either 4:00 am or
> by anacron. You might consider leaving your computer on 24/7. It will
> probably become outdated long before it craps out.

Computers last longer if they're up 24/7.  The hardest time for the
hardware (esp. hard drives and fans) is startup, and the hardest time
for the CPU is shutdown (the fan stops, so heat is trapped near the
processor until it dissipates naturally).  Just about every hardware
failure I've ever had has been when bringing a machine back up after a
shutdown (planned or unplanned).

Ben Steeves                     _                    bcs at metacon.ca
 The ASCII ribbon campaign     ( )               ben.steeves at unb.ca
http://www.metacon.ca/ascii    / \     Yahoo Messenger: ben_steeves