Printing woes - please help!

Martin Alderson mail at martinalderson.co.uk
Sat Apr 3 16:42:52 UTC 2004

On 3 Apr 2004, at 17:09, Michael J. Sherman wrote:

> Please, please.  I need help.  Setting up a printer should NOT be this
> difficult.
>  But it is.  I'd like to just start from scratch with CUPS, but even
> reinstalling
> the CUPS rpm package didn't wipe out my old printer definition.  I
> have a feeling
> this is the result of the myriad of different ways of doing things,
> CUPS, KDE
> print, Gnome printing, LPR, etc, all getting mixed up and not working
> together.
> I've googled for days and have found NOTHING useful.

Try deleting the printer from CUPS and install it via GNOME print
manager.

It is a result of a myriad of ways of doing things, but i completely
agree that printing (and package installation, well excluding apt-get
and synaptic) is a complete shambles under Linux. GNOME however does do
quite a good job and I've managed to configure many different types of
printer (local USB and windows networked) with it. It's not great, but
I'm sure it will be improved soon.

Martin Alderson,
IntechHosting

Email: martin at intechhosting.co.uk