Repository with later spamassassin

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Mon Apr 5 01:54:11 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-04-04 at 13:53, Steve Bergman wrote:
> Does anyone know of a FC1 repository that keeps an up to date version of
> spamassassin.  After I install the latest release of FC or RH my users
> compliment me on how well I'm controlling the spam, but by the end of
> the next release cycle, the spam is getting through again.  Spamassassin
> is a package the is really worth keeping current, but I've gotten to
> like yum/up2date so much that I hate doing the whole
> ./configure->make->make install thing.
>
> Thanks,
> Steve Bergman

I have been grabbing the source rpm and running rpmbuild --rebuild on it
to get the latest version on a system.

But I think you need to make sure you have the bayesian database enabled
and setup a scheme to use sa-learn to teach it spam that it misses.  If
you do this on a regular basis it will increase the score on spam it
missed.  You may also need to add certain entries to the local
blacklist.

Keeping up with spam is an on going process.  There are no silver
bullets.  But spamassassin is a great tool for reducing spam. It won't
get rid of all of it but if you run sa-learn on a semi regular basis it
will keep its database updated and keep the missed rate down around 1%
or less.

--
Scot L. Harris <webid at cfl.rr.com>