hda: lost interrupt

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Mon Apr 5 10:59:43 UTC 2004

jludwig wrote:

>> > Probably OT, but I'm getting the above error message
>> > more and more frequently, followed by the machine seizing up.
>> >
>> > (1) Is this definitely a sign of a dying disk?

> This sounds like a drive going bad. The read_itnr: indicates that a
> sector could not be read properly and the drive is being reset. In any
> case download abd back up NOW!!!

I have indeed backed up.
In fact I have an identical machine (Sony C1VFK Picturebook)
which I bought second-hand for just such an eventuality,
and which I'm using now.

I was pleased to find that copying over /home (with rsync)
seemed to give me 95% of the required functionality.
The only additional changes I had to make were
(1) to copy over my sendmail.mc and make /etc/mail/sendmail.cf
(2) to copy over /etc/uucp (I'm the last person in the world using uucp)
(3) chkconfig --add spamassassin

I should say that I had already installed Fedora-1 on the "new" machine.

I know I should install a new hard disk in my old machine,
but the descriptions of how to do this with a Sony Picturebook
have frightened me too much.
(I speak as one who would change a HD in a desktop in a moment.)

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366