Anythnig to watch out for on a laptop?

Ow Mun Heng ow.mun.heng at wdc.com
Tue Apr 6 07:41:32 UTC 2004

Mine uses the Conexant Chipset. Was using the Free Drivers
from linuxant till itchy hands upgraded kernel to 2.6 and
it now wouldn't compile. :(

> > > Issues with built in WiFi?
> >
> > Working. Ndiswrapper.
>
> Or with Linuxant's DriverLoader. When I tried ndiswrapper it
> has frozen my
> keyboard, but things might have changed. There is also work
> in progress for a
> free Centrion WiFi driver (written by Intel): http://ipw2100.sf.net

Funny.. ipw2100 doesn't work with WEP(last I read) and ndiswrapper
does. Ndiswrapper used to lock up my Laptop hard too. Now, at Version
0.5, it works Great. WEP too. (according to the team that is)

Besides, Linuxant costs USD19.95 vs Ndiswrapper USD0.00

> > > Are Centrino's any good? It seems like they have taken a step
> > > backwards and lowered the processor speed..
> >
> > In some cases, the extra cache makes thing faster. eg: During video
> > encoding, I compare (not apple to apple) on a D600 1.4G 512Ram vs
> > 2.4G P4 512M Ram (desktop). FPS using Helix Producer gets me like
> > 11-12 FPS vs 10-11 FPS  on the desktop
>
> It is not only the cache, Intel has created a completly new
> design to reduce
> power consumption.

Rightly So.. I missed that out..

> > Oh.. and Battery life if it's anything to you, the D600's Batt life
> > sucks. 2:30 hours on a 6 cell.
>
> Mine has more than 5 hours battery life :-)

How Lucky for you.. What's your batt capacity?

Mine's a 6 cell 48WHr. battery. I don't have the modular
bay battery option thrown in. lack of $$$$.

Yours??