MP3s and Linux [ogg format]

Daniel Stonier snorri_dj at operamail.com
Tue Apr 6 09:44:41 UTC 2004

I just had a look at the script itself and that is how it works.
Still, how much information does this lose? I have no idea -
you would have to have a look at the algorithms for mp3 and ogg to
work out what each captures and loses. It may still be in the transfer
there is little loss to get worried about (the mp3 to wav product may just
be exactly what ogg captures anyway). I'd be interested in hearing
 from anyone who might know.

At any rate, I couldn't come across a file where I could distinguish
between one or the other by ear which was the only test that needed
to satisfy me. I only converted a dozen or so files of some music
that I had from a group whose music I can't get in oz though - the
rest I ripped straight from my CD's to ogg format, so I haven't
really tried it out thoroughly.

Dan

email:snorri_dj at operamail.com
http://members.optusnet.com.au/stonierd/