FC 1.91 & NFS doesn't work

Andreas.Trawoeger at wgkk.sozvers.at Andreas.Trawoeger at wgkk.sozvers.at
Tue Apr 6 10:43:55 UTC 2004

Darryl Luff wrote:
> I've never had to do it before with RedHat, but the other day on a new
> debian system I had to add these lines to /etc/hosts.allow:

> portmap : 192.168.0.0/255.255.0.0 : allow
> portmap : ALL : deny

I have tried that too! To be more precise I've tried adding 'portmap:ALL'
to my /etc/hosts.allow.
I've now tried 'portmap : 10.0.0.0/255.0.0.0 : allow' in /etc/hosts.allow
and it still doesn't work.

All I end up is a message in /var/log/messages that looks fine and a
'Permission denied' when I'm trying to do a NFS mount.

/var/log/messages:
Apr  5 18:18:00 linsrv rpc.mountd: authenticated mount request from
linsrv.wgkk.sozvers.at:805 for /home/cdimg (/home/cdimg)

[root at linsrv root]# mount linsrv:/home/cdimg /mnt/tst/
mount: linsrv:/home/cdimg failed, reason given by server: Permission denied

I'm quite lost in this case, because I've no clue why NFS doesn't work. In
the meantime my box a happy member of our NT Domain and does user
authentification via NIS and Samba3. But NFS just doesn't want to work
(normally doing a nfs-export means adding a line to /etc/exports, but in
this case it didn't work from the begining).

Any hints how I can get better debugging information?

cu andreas