Problems Installing FC1 to SATA Hard Disk

Brian Chase networkr0 at cfl.rr.com
Tue Apr 6 18:36:51 UTC 2004

The kernel that installs with FC1 is pre-SATA embedded support.  It's
kind of messy, but if you want to fool with it, here's a link that
discusses some workarounds to get you up and running.

	http://www.linuxmafia.com/faq/Hardware/sata.html

FC1 will update using Yum or Apt-Get to a kernel that does support SATA,
but you've got to that point with another drive in the meantime, like i
said, messy.

My preference would be to wait for a distribution that has the newer
kernel upon install, and sees the hardware right away and works out of
the box.  The stable version of Fedora Core 2 is probably only a few
months out...fyi.

BC