off topic evolution

Christopher Ness nesscg at mcmaster.ca
Tue Apr 6 19:10:11 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-04-06 at 14:40, Chadley Wilson wrote:
> Hello Daar!
>
> Looked through all options on the menu bar!
> How can I archive mail from my inbox from say feb back.
> My inbox has over 70,000 mails in it and evolution is useing a lot of
> memory.So I figured I could free some up by archiving at least 50,000 of
> these mails. but keep the last 20,000 which I often go back to for
> advise,
>
> Any clues?

<warn>YOU CAN REALLY MESS UP YOUR INBOX IF YOU DO THIS WRONG. </warn>

evolution --force-shutdown   // This is so that evo flushes to disk
cd ~/evolution/local/Inbox/  // This is your inbox.

Copy the `mbox` file to wherever you would like to back it up to.
Please be careful.  There is no nice GUI way to do it AFAIK.

To take out a section of the mbox file you'll have to figure out a way
to edit the file.  Newest downloads should be concatenated to the bottom
of the file.

Cheers,
Chris
--