Linux PVR [was] Is Linux ...frustrating

Michael Gargiullo mgargiullo at warpdrive.net
Wed Apr 7 20:04:47 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-04-07 at 15:43, duncan brown wrote:
> about your radeon card, there are unaccelerated 2d drivers that work like a champ and ship with fedora, but for 3d acceleration, you're going to have to hit ati's website (www.ati.com).
>
> their installation procedure is NIGHTMARE.
>
> first off, it's not even an rpm.
> secondly, you have to go through alot of esoteric configuration options that the average user will NOT know
> thirdish, they use the old xf86setup script (which hasn't been in wide use in YEARS) to configure x instead of taking what you already have
>
> they're relatively new to everything on linux, so don't expect alot from them.  nvidia sucked for quite a while, but ever since about 2 years ago, they're getting pretty nice.
>
> i think that alot of the problems with ati and other companies putting out linux drivers is internal resources... everyone's so damned right-size happy that they don't have enough people to support windows and mac, let alone linux.  i think the growing market in linux is the only reason they're doing it, not just to be nice.
>
> as far as tv capture, the hauppauge cards are supported really well under linux, i'm not so sure about the ati cards.  on a good week, you can find the happauge cards on super rebate at one of the electronics stores for like $20, they're normally like $50.  oh, and the pvr version of the card just has more powerful windows software, for the most part.
>
> -d
>
> also, i'd appreciate it that once you're linux conversion is complete if you'd do a small write up (a paragraph or two) on how happy you are now with linux vs ms for my site.  i want to collect as many 'switch' advocates as possible.

If your video card is an ATIRadeon 8xxx or 9xxx series card ATI's
drivers will work (TV out and all).  I'm using an ATI 9200 with Mythtv
(LOVE IT!)  output display's fine on the TV, and using ATrpms site for
the YUM repository, it's as simple as yum install mythtv-suite.  They
also have a great fedora-core HOW-TO at mythtv.org.