Is Linux always so frustating^

Chadley Wilson chadley at pinteq.co.za
Thu Apr 8 02:17:11 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-04-08 at 03:59, Dave Smith wrote:
> There's a learning curve that you just have to stick with if you want
> the advantages of OpenSource software.
>
> Dave
>
> On Wed, 2004-04-07 at 12:16, pinco wrote:
> > Hi,
> > perhaps this message will irritate all of you, that's not my intention,
> > so I beg your pardon if it does.
Relax, we aren't monsters, we just ask that you do some reading which
will assist you in your learning curve andhelp you on your new
adventure.

> > I don't think I lack of experience in computer matters, even if I'm not
> > an expert (see my homepage), but I'm really frustrated with Linux (Fedora).

Not many experts around here, most of ask questions, and the experts
help
And they are great.

> > Since I'm not happy with MS policy I'm trying to switch to Linux, but
> > until now very few programs I succeeded to install without wasting a lot
> > of time and even so I didn't succeed.

Well your not the first to find fault and unhappiness with MS

> > I'm happy with OpenOffice, very happy with Audacity (which I discoverd
> > thanks to this list), but what else?
> >
> > In these days I tried a substitue to FrontPage, but I failed to install
> > Quanta!

Quanta is really for a hard coder in Html Css PHP Java etc
If you want wysiwyg then use Open Office as your front end for layout
and quick content, and quanta to clean up the code and do some advanced
coding.
I must admit that both screem and bluefish work better for me, both have
auto-complete tags which is irritating at times when you add a closing
tag that already put there for U.
It even has an image map tool Pretty cool.
It has a css wizard thing never really played with it prefer cssed from
freshmeat myself.

> >  (I'm a newbie,
Most people are always Nubies don't let that bug you.
> > but I don't have any problems with installing and
> > even coding on Windows.
Well thats because its like rowing in your swimming pool, where as linux
is raging river of options, obstacles and adventure.
Beside the Linux fellows are mich nicer than the windows lot.
> >  Besides I've read in a mailing list that it
> > crashes with Fedora Core 1). NVU is more o less a HTML editor. So I
> > didn't succeed to find a substiture!

I also tried NVU with no luck, we will have to wait for FC2. They are
actually building it for that.

> > Why am I failing to switch to Linux?
> >
> > Please, pay attention to the fact that I'm asking help,  don't insult
> > me... if you can :)

Your are not failing, think of it as your biggest adventure and remember
we are here to help, There are some on the list with a lot of impatience
just ignor them and go with those who want to help you.

ps as long you don't crap on us for your difficulties we will always do
our best to help you. After all we didnt make linux we use it. The
makers of FC can be found on the devel list if you really feel your big
enough to take them on!
Anyway have cool coding day.
My site it far from finished but is starting to look very good. I using
straight forward html and css. Its really just an info site for internal
use. Stats, staff and all that.

Cheers

Chadley - Linux Rocks
Welcome to my world.
This mail is free for distribution. You are free to - delete it - resend
it - use it in anyway that makes you happy. I am not responsible for it
or its content due to ignorance.
Enjoy the adventures of Linux