Too many dependencies? was: Is Linux always so frustating?

M. Fioretti m.fioretti at inwind.it
Thu Apr 8 05:11:54 UTC 2004

On Wed, Apr 07, 2004 17:44:10 PM -0400, William Hooper (whooperhsd3 at earthlink.net) wrote:

> Robin Laing said:
>
> > If I am setting up a workstation for a secretary and I don't want to
> > allow Internet browsing, why should I install Mozilla.  If the address
> > book code is required for OOo, then put the code in a separate
> > package.  I can understand the dependencies for libs but not for
> > applications.  How is the OOo download from OpenOffice.org handle this?
>
> Well, you install Mozilla so you can use the library...

Did you miss the beginning of the thread? This is exactly what one
would want to avoid.

> If you were doing a customized build (as opposed to the general
> build that FC needs), you could remove the address book sections
> that require it.

Not possible for the end user, which again is the subject of the
original complaint:

1) No competencies
2) If he had the disk space and CPU power to *compile* OOo (read
   around what a light task that is) he would do much faster
   installing Mozilla...

Ciao,
	Marco Fioretti

--
Marco Fioretti                 m.fioretti, at the server inwind.it

You can't build a reputation on what you are "going" to do.
                                                        Henry Ford