yum.conf clean-up

Tom 'Needs A Hat' Mitchell mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Apr 9 01:00:20 UTC 2004

On Thu, Apr 08, 2004 at 03:30:45PM -0400, Matt Morgan wrote:
> repository to get Java, when I decided I needed to clean up yum.conf.
>
> What happens if I remove them now, and no other repository updates one
> of the packages I have installed? Do I get some warning that I have
> "orphaned" packages?

You should keep track of all the repository resources you pulled
things from one way or another.

Yes, it is quicker to have a short list...

Save your full config file as /etc/yum.conf-with-optional-stuff.
Then prune /etc/yum.conf down to the basics.

Now you can do:
    yum update
and
    yum -c /etc/yum.conf-with-optional-stuff check-update
and
    yum -c /etc/yum.conf-with-optional-stuff "update special-package"

I have seen just enough questions about some special package breaking
or causes a conflict.

I also archive and keep http/ftp hand downloaded rpms in a dir and pair
them up with a readme file. I also pair rpms's with source in case I need
to rebuild it.

I have one utility (.c file) from 8/3/86 that I need to recompile
once in a while.  Source is good... good source is great.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l