was: Re: setting up a mail server, now somwhat OT

Mark Neidorff mark at neidorff.com
Fri Apr 9 09:08:08 UTC 2004

On Wed, 7 Apr 2004, M.Hockings wrote:

> Steven Stern wrote:
>
> >What's with the .sig?  Registering Linux Users is one step away from making
> >them illegal.
> >

> Hmmm,  must be a gun owner..
>
> Yup, registration, taxation, confiscation.  Currently at the taxation
> stage with vehicles, confiscation stage with some guns..
>
> I certainly hope it does not happen with Linux (and software/speech in
> general).

See http://counter.li.org . Its a 10 year old project to get a count of
the number of linux users and machines around.  When you get counted, you
get a registration number.  The original idea was that since linux can be
freely downloaded a way was needed to count the number of machines and
users.  That's all!

--
A boiled egg in the morning is hard to beat.