A choice?

Ben Steeves bcs at metacon.ca
Fri Apr 9 19:03:38 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-04-09 at 15:42, Mark A. Hoover wrote:

> Allowing somebody a choice isn't going to kill anyone here.  Isn't that
> one of the reasons why we all decided to run Linux in the first place?

I would argue that both your examples (Lilo and an fdisk button) fall
into the category of being needlessly redundant.  An expert -- the only
kind of person who would appreciate the choice -- can choose for
themselves if they want to use lilo (admittedly, only after the install)
or fdisk (what difference does a button that switches to a console or a
key-press sequence make, really?)

One of the challenges of putting together a good distribution is
choosing reasonable defaults while allowing experts to customize to
their heart's content.  Fedora is exceptionally good at that, IMHO.

Ben Steeves                     _                    bcs at metacon.ca
 The ASCII ribbon campaign     ( )               ben.steeves at unb.ca
http://www.metacon.ca/ascii    / \     Yahoo Messenger: ben_steeves