FC1 and Win XP using cross-over cable

Brian Bober netdemonz at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 10 09:45:42 UTC 2004

> From: Hazael Maldonado Torres <fedora at itxolutions.com>
> Hi guys.
>
> I am trying to connect my FC box to Internet trought a laptop running XP

So you have:

ISP <-> wireless adapter <-> laptop <-> crossover cable <-> linux

You'll need to setup internet sharing in the networking wizard (don't know its
real name). That will allow the windows computer to act as a gateway. Having
two ips on one interface (which windows doesn't allow) isn't an issue because
your wireless adapter will have a different IP than the ethernet adapter with
the crossover cable. Just run the internet connection sharing wizard or
whatever, and I think you'll be all set.

Anyway, unless you decide to make the Linux computer connect to the wireless
adapter and have it share with the router (in which I'd suggest setting up
masquerading using a Linux program called Firestarter), this is a Windows
issue. because your Windows computer will have to share the internet
connection.

Oh, btw, you'll probably want to set up static IPs on the two sides of the
cross-over cable in the 192.168.0.1-192.168.0.254 range so that they see each
other. The Windows computer won't have a DHCP server, so you'll have to go to
static IPs.