vertical lines with rage xl

Jay Daniels drs at pointyhats.com
Sun Apr 11 16:32:04 UTC 2004

note: this is not a Linux problem but a hardware problem.  I hope
someone else has the solution.

While browsing under Linux or Windows using any browser I have
vertical lines appear in the background of the webpage.

Problem appears here and many other sites:
http://www.geekcruises.com/home/ll4_home.html

Either my Rage XL or this Mitsubishi Flat Panel LCD has a problem!
Monitor:  DiamondPoint 18" NX86LCD

I can page down and page up to make the lines disappear, but they
return.  Adjusting colors and resolution in X or Windows XP has no
affect.

How do I find out if it's the builtin Rage XL or the flat panel
itself?

Other than the colors at http://www.ozzu.com/ftopic22820.html the
desktop display appears perfect.  At ozzu.com the alternating message
colors appear with a greenish tint!  This mitsubishi with my rage xl
seems to have problems displaying grey scales.  If you purchase an
expensive LCD display, you may want to investigate this before you buy!

Except for the problems described above, my desktop otherwise looks
perfect!  Gnome desktop is very clear and there are no vertical lines
or any other problems.

I noticed the vertical lines also appear on ozzu.com's header
background image.

Other than installing a video card or another monitor, which I don't
have, is there any other way to diagnos this problem?  The motherboard
does not have an AGP slot and only two normal 32 bit pci slots.  One pci slot
holds my soundcard and the other one is blocked by by raid controller
(the cable plugs in from the bottom side).  I would have to move the
raid controller to access the pci slot.  The rest of the slots are 64
bit pci slots which do not seem to work with standard 32 bit pci video
cards!

I have found high-end graphic 64 bit pci display controller cards, but
they are in the $1000's!  Perhaps it would be cheaper to switch
motherboards on this server.  Supermicro has one board with an AGP
slot, but first I need to know if it is the rage xl or the flat panel
causing the problem?

jay