Mozilla bookmarks on different machines

Chris McD theratpack91 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Apr 12 00:48:49 UTC 2004

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> What is the easiest way to get Mozilla bookmarks on different machines
>
> "in sync"?
>
> Can one share bookmarks between machines?

yeah I'm sure you can. You can leave the bookmarks on one machine and
access them through a writable NFS or SMB share from other computers.
just change your user.js to point to the path that the bookmarks are in.
You may need to create a user.js if it is not already in your
~/.mozilla/default/xxxxx.slt/ directory.

the line you add to user.js will look like this:

// Specify which bookmarks file to use:
user_pref("browser.bookmarks.file","/mnt/<an_nfs_dir>/.mozilla/default/xxxxx.slt/bookmarks.html");

I use this to share my bookmarks between my linux and XP partitions
using a small FAT32 partition for the bookmarks file. my xp mozilla
user.js looks like this:

user_pref("browser.bookmarks.file", "G:\\shared\\bookmarks.html");

while the linux one looks like:

//user_pref("browser.bookmarks.file","/mnt/fat_part/shared/bookmarks.html");

I guess there are other ways using separate copies and syncing them....

Chris