2120S Raid Controller and DAT Tape?

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Mon Apr 12 07:10:54 UTC 2004

Jay Daniels wrote:

>On Sun, Apr 11, 2004 at 10:49:23PM -0500, Jeff Vian wrote:
>

>>Jay Daniels wrote:
>>

>> <snip>
>>

>>You need to check the specifications on the tape drive.
>>Is it scsi2 UW or scsi2 UW fast.
>>
>>I suspect from the info you give and what I know of most DDS4 tape
>>drives it is scsi2 UW and not likely faster.
>>
>>If you want an inexpensive scsi adapter, an adaptec AHA2940UW or similar
>>would work well.
>>You will need a cable to attach to the drive, and if the drive/enclosure
>>is not self terminating you will also need a terminator for the end near
>>the tape drive.
>>All scsi buses must be terminated at both ends.  The adapter will
>>usually be one end, the furthest device is the other end.
>>jeff
>>

>Jeff, I have an old Adaptec AHA2940UW but I have only one more 32 bit
>pci slot and no AGP slot.  I was hoping to use that slot to install a
>better video adaptor than the built in Rage XL.
>
>Good to know, Hardware raid controllers do not support non-raid storage
>devices.  I had a feeling this was true since I called a Linux vendor
>years ago and the tech said that if I wanted a scsi scanner interface
>that I need to install another scsi adaptor for the scanner.

Yep,  and if, as was (I think it was you) mentioned earlier (in another
thread) you need the extra 32 bit slots you may be stuck with changing
the mobo.  Not cheap either way but for additional scsi devices that are
non-raid you will need the adapter.  One alternative if you have 64 bit
slots available might be to see about a 64 bit scsi adapter and save the
32 bit for the video card.  They are available.

One nice thing would be that one scsi adapter usually works for many
different kind scsi devices so your scanner would then be supported as
well.  :-)