Flickering video with ATI Radeon and KDE

James Kosin jkosin at beta.intcomgrp.com
Tue Apr 13 16:23:43 UTC 2004

James Kosin wrote:

| Robin Laing wrote:
|
| | James Kosin wrote:
| |

> [...]
| |> |
| |> |
| |> |
R100 QD
| |> |
| |> |
| |> |
| |> FPS
| |> |
| |> |
| |> |
| |> |
| |> Scott,
| |>
| |> Get in line...  Currently, there is no support for 3D graphics for the
| |> ATI drivers.  They have experimental drivers out there if you may be
| |> interested.  ATI & NVIDIA cards both have problems with Linux in
| |> general.  I always have to tweak the configuration manually to get the
| |> drivers for my ATI card to work and many users of NVIDIA have to build
| |> new drivers every time the kernel changes.
| |> Maybe one day I'll be able to install Linux (any flavor) and get a
| |> working graphical boot the first time.
| |> Until someone finishes 3D support for the ATI chipset, we just have to
| |> wait or try one of the experimental drivers out there.
| |>
| |> Wish it where better news,
| |> James

| |
| | I dumped my ATI card (9600) for a NVidia after fighting for a month. The
| | recompiling the NVidea drivers with each kernel upgrade is minor
| | compared to the missing 3D graphics and associated problems. (lack of
| | game support :) )
| |
| | ATI's own software does NOT support 3d and I didn't find this out until
| | after I purchased the card. :(
| |
| Robin Laing,
|
| You have to check out ATI's site.  They say their drivers do support
| 3D...  Just not opensource due to proprietary disclosure agreements
| limit them from releasing the information as opensource.
|
| Thanks,
| James

Ok, correcting myself some more.....
XFree86 4.4.0 will contain support for 3D using ATI chipsets below
Radeon 8500...  ATI's site has 3D support for Radeon 8500 and above on
their web-site...  Binaries only!
Hmm... amazing how things change so quickly.

Just my added comments.
James