Kernel Compiling Checklist, rev 3

Matt Hansen helios82 at optushome.com.au
Wed Apr 14 06:35:28 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-04-14 at 12:24, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am Mi, den 14.04.2004 schrieb jludwig um 03:44:
>
> > RPM installs packages. Make compiles (makes) them. Two totally different
> > beasts.
>
> > jludwig <wralphie at comcast.net>
>
> Matt certainly meant not rpm (-i) but rpmbuild, to create a kernel rpm
> which then integrates well to the whole RPM based system. At least that
> was my implicit understanding of his comment.
>
> Alexander

Yes, that is what I implied.  Would replacing the last step, "make
install", with "make rpm" be correct/adequate? As an idea to inquire
more, I grep'd /usr/src/linux*/Makefile for "rpm" and the following is
the output:

  [helios at fc1 linux-2.4]$ cat Makefile | grep -i rpm
RPM             := $(shell if [ -x "/usr/bin/rpmbuild" ]; then echo
rpmbuild; \
                        else echo rpm; fi)
# RPM target
#       If you do a make spec before packing the tarball you can rpm -ta
it
#       Build a tar ball, generate an rpm from it and pack the result
rpm:    clean spec
        $(RPM) -ta $(TOPDIR)/../$(KERNELPATH).tar.gz ; \

So it seems that the rpm target executes the "clean" and "spec" targets
to create an rpm from a tar.gz'd kernel. Is this correct? Or is a "make
spec" needed before the "make rpm". I'm not sure which step in the
compilation process created the tar.gz archive, maybe I'll need to
read/understand more of the Makefile; anyone care to explain?

In summary, is there any good docs people recommend on this topic? I've
googled for "make rpm" w/o much success in the past and there doesn't
seem to be any docs outside of explaining the standard make/make
clean/modules/modules_install/install/etc. process.

Regards,
-Matt
--
mhelios - www.fedoraforum.org
Registered Linux User #348963 / counter.li.org