nvidia problem with artoo instructions and 2.4.22-1.2179

Clint clint at penguinsolutions.org
Thu Apr 15 00:52:46 UTC 2004

I ran into a problem with my nvidia driver when I updated to the latest
kernel (2.4.22-1.2179). Since livna was down, I opted to follow the
instructions found at artoo's site, as I used to before the livna driver
was available. Here is what I did:

1. installed all the kernel* updates that came out today, and reboot.
2. unlike before, X did *not* fail
3. I shut down X by doing telinit 3 in a root terminal
4. CC="gcc32" sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336-pkg1.run --add-this-kernel
5. CC="gcc32" sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336-pkg1-custom.run
6. telinit 5

I edited the /etc/X11/XFree86Config file to be sure it is correct, and
here are the relevant sections:

Section "Module"
         Load  "dbe"
         Load  "extmod"
         Load  "fbdevhw"
         Load  "glx"
         Load  "record"
         Load  "freetype"
         Load  "type1"
#       Load  "dri"  <-- I commented out this line
EndSection

Section "Device"
         Identifier  "Videocard0"
         Driver      "nvidia"
         VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
         BoardName   "NVIDIA GeForce 4 (generic)"
EndSection

I also tried the suggestion to remove the XFree86-Mesa-libGL, but I
don't have it installed:

# rpm -e --nodeps XFree86-Mesa-libGL
error: package XFree86-Mesa-libGL is not installed

Now X does come back, but the NVidia splash screen does *not* show up. I
can't use any of my GL screensavers, and I can't start any of the games
like Neverball or Tux Racer. Here is some output from my trying to start
those games:

$ glxgears
Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
Error: couldn't get an RGB, Double-buffered visual

$ neverball
Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
neverball: Couldn't find matching GLX visual

$ tuxracer
Tux Racer 0.61 -- a Sunspire Studios Production
(http://www.sunspirestudios.com)(c) 1999-2000 Jasmin F. Patry
<jfpatry at sunspirestudios.com>
"Tux Racer" is a trademark of Jasmin F. Patry
Tux Racer comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. This is free software,
and you are welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions.
See http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html for details.

Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
*** tuxracer error: Couldn't initialize video: Couldn't find matching
GLX visual (Success)

This situation hasn't happened to me before when I followed artoo's
instructions. Can someone please bail me out here?

Thanks,
Clint
--
Clint <clint at penguinsolutions.org>